|Page (1) of 1 - 04/25/10||email article||print page|
The Non-Linear Road To NABWhat's new in non-linear video editing
For video editors, NAB is akin to a pilgrimage. Every year they flock to Vegas, push themselves through the crowds to the booths of the video editor purveyors, and watch, learn, debate and yearn.
And then it's night in Vegas... but that is of course a whole different story.
In any case if you were not able to attend with the rest of the faithful (or those crazy Vegas nights wiped out the memory of what you saw during the day), here is a quick look at six of the very best!
Sony Creative Software Vegas 9.0d
Sony Creative Software just keeps making a good thing better.
The Vegas Pro 9 collection integrates two powerful applications that work seamlessly together to provide an efficient and intuitive environment for video and broadcast professionals. This comprehensive suite offers the most robust and progressive platform available for content creation and production.
With broad format support, superior effects processing, unparalleled audio support, and a full complement of editorial tools, the Vegas Pro 9 collection streamlines your workflow. From acquisition to delivery, from camera to Blu-ray Disc, the Vegas Pro 9 collection delivers exactly what you need to produce outstanding results.
- Precise Editing Tools
- Efficient, Professional Workflow for 32- and 64-bit systems
- Broad Format Support
- Superior Audio Control
- Powerful Blu-ray Disc Authoring
- Interactive Tutorials
Quantel released the V5 version of its editing and finishing software for its eQ, iQ and Pablo production systems. V5 delivers major advances in color correction, RED and Stereo3D workflows.
eQ: online finishing for SD and HD
With its comprehensive editing, effects, color grading and versioning capabilities, eQ is the ultimate creative all-rounder for both HD and SD finishing. For the post house, it's a great addition to the rate card that can pull in a vast range of work. For the broadcaster, eQ's workflow delivers stunning results in unbelievably short timescales - perfect for sparkling promotions and multiple versions. Teamworking eQs with Genetic Engineering provides even greater workflow advantages.
eQ gets the whole job done by combining best-of-breed capabilities in each of four previously separate operations - which means with eQ, you get multiple revenue streams in a single box:
- Editing - world's first resolution co-existent multilayer timeline interface with all the tools
- Effects - the whole box of tricks backed up by ultra-powerful hardware
- Color correction - powerful in-context QColor grading, with Revolver secondary correction
- Deliverables - the world's only realtime, multi-format versioning system with pan-and-scan
Read more about V5 and eQ at http://www.quantel.com/
Avid always has a *lot* to show at NAB, this year was no exception. They demoed Avid Media Composer 5, calling it the worlds fastest editing system. Avid describe it as ideal for offline, file-based, and mobile editing.
While Media Composer 5 was on display it is not yet shipping at the time of the NAB 2010 show. According to Avid, Media Composer 5 features are:
- Directly access and edit RED files through AMA, without transcoding (images are scaled to HD frame size)
- Work natively with QuickTime video formats, including Apple ProRes and H.264
- Edit video and audio by dragging and dropping elements in the timeline
- Keep high-end finishing projects in-house and gain great color precision with HD-RGB support (including dual-link I/O support with Nitris DX systems)
- Monitor video externally with support for the Matrox MXO2 Mini
- Mix and match frame sizes and aspect ratios - in addition to formats, frame rates, and resolutions - in the same timeline
- Take a break during long renders and have your system email you when the job's done
- Import AVCHD files directly from cameras and other devices
- Capture to and edit XDCAM HD and DVC PRO HD formats from baseband without additional hardware
- Access low-res XDCAM proxies for offline work, with full-quality audio
- Import text-based ancillary data and embed it in the video signal with the new "Data Track" and SMPTE 436M support using Nitris DX- and Mojo DX-based systems
- View stereo audio tracks as single channels in the timeline for easier handling
- Create high-quality sounds and mixes with support for RTAS audio processing plug-ins
- Natively access and edit 4:2:2 MPEG-2 media from the new Canon cameras using AMA
You can find out more about Avid Media Composer 5 here: http://www.avid.com/US/products/media-composer-software?intcmp=AV-HP-S2
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
Adobe Systems Incorporated announced Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, a new release of the industry-leading nonlinear editor.
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 is packed with new features:
- the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine so users can open and edit complex projects faste
- support for native tapeless workflows that eliminate transcoding and rewrapping
- easy project interchange with Apple and Avid systems for an open and collaborative workflow
- includes Adobe OnLocatio CS5 and Adobe Encore CS5
- supports roundtrip editing between Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer or Digidesign Pro Tools software
For more on Premiere and CS5 Production vidit http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/
As a long time fan of Newtek it's great to see they just keep making their products better every year. This year it was the TriCaster model TCXD850, a high definition (HD) portable live production system that offers a 22-channel switcher, with eight HD or standard definition (SD) digital or analog inputs, two DDRs, titles, stills, two network inputs and eight virtual/mix channels.
- 22-channel switcher with eight digital or analog inputs, two DDRs, two network inputs, titles, stills and eight virtual/mix channels
- Advanced overlay capabilities include rotation, positioning and scaling in 3D plus animated effects
- New live virtual sets in HD include double box effects with options for stand-up and one or two presenters
- Photorealistic LiveMatte(tm) virtual sets system with advanced matte generation and spill suppression for every switcher input
- Two network inputs deliver graphics from LiveText, presentations from a PC or Mac(r) using iVGA(tm) or other computer sources to the switcher or overlay channels
- Simultaneous monitoring of all switcher inputs at full field-rate and signal integrity verification with color Waveform/Vectorscopes
- Using any combination of either embedded digital, AES or the16 balanced analog XLR audio inputs to bring in microphones, stereo or quad line level sources
- Audio mixing capabilities with audio follows video support and auxiliary routing to integrate into an external audio setup
- HDMI and VGA program outputs for projector (IMAG) or other monitoring applications
- 36 hours of 1080i recording capacity that can be extended by using the three removable drive bays
- Three video output rows provide flexible simultaneous HD and SD video output
- Durable rack mount 4U case with redundant power supply
I'm not the only fan - the Tricaster won 3 show awards from industry magazines TV Technology, Videography and DV.
Apple's Final Cut pro
Apple wasn't at NAB but Final Cut Pro users and developers certainly were. FCP remains a leading platform for video editors and the proof of that - if needed - is how many companies mention they can be part of the FCP workflow (or that FCP is part of their workflow as well)...
FCP 7 remains the latest version of the software, although rumors abound (of course - we're talking an Apple product) of new releases and features. Edible Apple claims it has a copy of an email from Jobs saying the next release of FCP will be 'Awesome'. (http://www.edibleapple.com/steve-jobs-says-next-release-of-final-cut-pro-will-be-awesome/)
No doubt it will...
For more on Final Cut Pro visit http://www.FinalCutPro.com
Charlie Wade is an Ohio-based freelance writer and media explorer, who specializes in digital video technology.
You can usually find Charlie nosing around tradeshows, scouring new product news for the next Big Thing and always working in the production studio.
Contact him via gmail at email@example.com.
Related Keywords:nle, video editing, non-linear editing, sony vegas, adobe premiere, apple final cut pro, fcp, quantel, avid media composer, newtek tricaster